Do you have flood insurance? If not, get it before it rains or floods.

Flood, Home, Water Damage, Insurance

While not everyone needs flood insurance, it can be a devastating event if flood damage occurs and you aren’t covered. While your standard homeowner’s insurance policy will cover the run-of-the-mill rain damage, it will NOT cover damage from a deluge of water, or mud flow, that is caused by rising water from rivers, lakes, streams, oceans and such.

Flood insurance covers losses incurred by water rising from the ground level. Particularly in Southern California, and desert communities such as the Antelope Valley, this can be an issue as most often everything appears quite dry. You may be in a 100-year flood plain and not know it until rising waters heavily damage your home and personal belongings.

And it does not take feet of water to cause serious damage, even a few inches of flooding can destroy floors, walls, electrical connections, personal property, furniture… You get the idea.

Most policies have a 30-day wait period. Generally you won’t be able to get flood insurance when you hear of upcoming severe storms, so it is best to prepare early.

Flood insurance companies–the best policies and rates available

Homeowners insurance does not cover floods. Purchasing a flood insurance policy can help protect you.

Different types of policies are available based on your property’s location and flood history:

  • Standard Flood Insurance Policies: If you live in a community that participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), your building and its contents can be covered by a standard flood insurance policy. The NFIP was established by the Federal Government to help communities who “voluntarily participate in the NFIP by adopting and enforcing floodplain management ordinances to reduce future flood damage.” To be considered a flood, the waters must cover at least two acres or affect at least two properties. You must apply for building coverage and contents coverage separately if you choose to invest in a standard flood insurance policy. A NFIP policy will provide coverage for a wide range of damage and losses, from your home and foundation to appliances to personal items such as clothing, furniture and even food. It won’t cover certain valuables and has limits on other valuables, so please cover these assets with your Lucas insurance agent.
  • Preferred Risk Flood Insurance Policies: If your home or business is in a low or moderate risk zone, your building may qualify for a low-cost preferred risk policy. While you aren’t required to purchase flood insurance in low-to-moderate risk areas, a preferred risk policy will protect your home and its contents if you are affected by a small flood or a larger flood that has extended into your low-risk area. In truth, many flood insurance claims do occur in low-to-moderate risk areas and it is best to be prepared.

Don’t wait until it’s too late. Contacting Lucas Insurance Services today will get you on the path to flood protection with an affordable and comprehensive insurance policy.